I have blogged a number of times on PAS 91, the Publicly Available Specification for PQQ’s, (eg here) and on BIM, Building Information Management, (eg here – What is BIM)
But … until now separately …
It is encouraging to note then that Construction Manager published news that the new version of PAS 91 will include BIM, asking bidders on their experience of using Building Information Modelling.
Although PAS91 has maybe not had the take up anticipated, its influence on other PQQ’s is noticeable. Hence the inclusion of BIM into the PAS can only reinforce the importance and the need to act on BIM, from both clients and contractors.
A consultation on the draft version of the updated PAS91 has just concluded. The drafting committee convened by the British Standards Institute, which authored the original form, will study the comments and issue a final version before Christmas, according to Brian Such, project manager at BSI Standard Solutions.
The draft asks about an organisation’s understanding, capability and willingness in BIM, said Such. “In the last two years interest in building information modelling has grown rapidly – and it felt appropriate and helpful to expand in this direction.”
The government has mandated BIM on all public projects from 2016. (See the Government Construction Strategy)
Proposed new version of PAS 91:
• Supplier identity, key roles and contact information
• Financial information
• Business and professional standing
• Health and safety policy and capability
• Equal opportunity and diversity policy and capability
• Environmental management policy and capability
• Quality management policy and capability
• Building Information ModellingNotes: I am currently assisting a number of contractors in developing a BIM preparation strategy, based on collaborative working principles and approaches. I recently co-authored a NFB Guide to PAS91:2010 which will be updated following issue of Revision 2 If you would like to know more, or receive an outline of a preparation strategy please do get in touch via email or twitter A copy of PAS91:2010 can be downloaded from the BSI site