A posting on Think Left (1) on August 29 asked the question Why is the Tory Government Hammering Green Industry? and included the following incredible list of this governments achievements to date:
- Supported a reduction in Feed-in Tariffs likely to kill off solar industry.
- Reduced the green-car incentives. In 2017, after the first year, all cars will pay the same £140 annual fee, so a Porsche will be taxed the same as a Prius
- Scrapped decade long plan to for new homes to be zero carbon homes from 2016
- Majority Stake in Green Investment Bank to be Privatised Started Selling off the Green Investment Bank
- Abandoned Biomass Subsidies
- Hit the Green Energy Tax in Budget by £3.9 Billion
- Planned shocking U-Turn fracking in precious wildlife sites – against scientific advice.
- Scrapped plans for on-shore wind.
- Increased taxes on renewable energy
- Despite the disaster at Fukushima, the government planned an expansion at Hinkley Point investing in nuclear power – at high cost, and expensive white elephant
- Removed the subsidy on companies converting from fossil fuel to biomass
- Kills off flagship Green Deal for home insulation (2)
From the Greenest Government Ever, to within a few months, and as Pam Field comments, behaving like the most foolish, selfish government in living memory – if not ever.
(1) The purpose of Think Left is to present a view of politics from a left-wing perspective
(2) added by me