After many years in discussion and planning, the LIVING FUTURE INSTITUTE EUROPE was launched at a number of events in Berlin and London last week.
In December of 2015, world leaders came together to find a path down the greenhouse gas mountain on which the world continues to climb. Calling for new investments in clean energy and water efficiency, world leaders collaboratively succeeded in establishing a new era of climate awareness. The resulting Paris Accord committed national governments to ask for and accept bold private sector investment and action. Incremental change will not provide the solutions we need in the built environment within the timeframe established in Paris.
The Institute’s mission will hasten the change and provide needed direction towards a regenerative design transition in Europe. It is actively pursuing European market alignment and adaptations of the Living Building Challenge (LBC). This work is unfolding on multiple levels, including:
- Forming partnerships with sponsors, organizations, and developers aligned with LBC principles
- Identifying modifications to Declare program components so they meet European product testing and reporting conventions
- Developing customized European zones for LBC Imperative 13, Living Economy Sourcing – See Example
- Resolving critical issues in wood certification standards – FSC vs. PEFC
- Building and supporting local Collaboratives
“Despite the introduction of many sustainability rating systems for green buildings and their development on the market, our progress towards EU goals has been minute and barely recordable, if compared with the rate of change that is required to avoid the worst effects of climate change. Incremental change is no longer sufficient. The Living Building Challenge fosters restorative sustainability and leads building projects to move beyond merely being ‘less bad’ and to become truly regenerative.”
Carlo Battisti, COST Action RESTORE, Italian Ambassador
Interim Executive Director, ILFI Europe
Owner, Sustainable Innovations Managements & Consulting
Green Building Consultant, Green Living Projects
Sustainability Provocateur, Fairsnape