Whilst being a great advocate for learning from others, sharing and benchmarking best practice, often it is essential to ask questions of our approaches to topics such as sustainable construction, before comparing.
In this mornings twitter fed reading stream was an article describing the five questions that Interface ask of themselves. Interface are world leaders in design, production and sales of environmentally responsible modular carpets “Design is a mindset and sustainability is the journey of a lifetime”
Now whilst Interface’s responses in the article are inspiring, it struck me these are the questions we should all be asking of ourselves. Asking across the built environment, in design and specification, in product manufacture, in construction procurement and supply chains. Asking within project sustainability meetings, within company sustainability development and review sessions, at board level and even in ISO14001 audits.
Asking until we have answers and approaches we can live with.
1. How can we increase use of recycled and bio-based materials?
2. How can we prevent our materials from ending up in landfill?
3. How can we reduce carbon and GHG emissions and at the same time increase our use of renewable energies?
4. How can we reduce water consumption?
5. How can our clients and customers make decisions about materials based upon trustworthy environmental facts?
Once you have answers to these questions, you will want to take a look at Five Questions Businesses Must Answer to Advance Toward Sustainability According to Interface, Inc.
Join the discussion on these questions, share your responses and learn from others through twitter with @fairsnape and others, through leaving comments below or getting in touch.